Two-headed chemical mayhem!

Monday, October 30, 2006

Anti-Newtonian lab

Now that Beaker and I have officially intoduced our blog, I thought I would make my first individual post. I am the blogging chemist known as Bunsen, and I'm a female graduate student doing my PhD in organic chemistry. We have decided not to reveal our identities just yet in case this whole blogging thing turns out to be a complete disaster.

Well, here's my first lab story. I live on level 5 of the chemistry building, in one of the organic research laboratories. Some of the boys in my research group have been pulling apart dead hard drives, and removing the magnets. The magnets that come out of these hard drives are super strong.

This has led to two main observations:

1) Magnets are cool
2) They are even cooler if you can find something else magnetic to stick them to.

We had many many hours of fun sticking two magnets together and trying to pull them apart (this is really hard! They are some strong magnets!) When this got old, we took to using the magnets in more inventive ways. For example, one such evil lab mate of mine stuck a piece of my hair between two magnets, and then proceeded to stick my magnetic piece of hair to a lab stool. Being temporarily attached to a lab stool turned out to be pretty amusing, and so I didn't yell at said evil lab mate. I can get quite angry at times :-)

The discovery that followed is the basis for many hours of fun in the lab. Some genius discovered that the air conditioning vent that runs just below the ceiling in our lab is magnetic. We had magnets, and the ceiling was just waiting for some action. At first we just threw the magnets up and laughed when they got stuck to the vent. Then we took to sticky taping the magnets to random lab objects and then throwing these objects up. Now there is all manner of crap on the air conditioning vent. It may sound stupid, but seeing an empty chemical bottle/water container/random stuffed animals get thrown up in the air, and never come down is really hilarious! Who knew!

I thought it was necessary to share this discovery with everyone: What goes up doesn't always come down :-)

Bunsen

7 Comments:

Blogger pip said...

I am totally jealous of your magnetic vent. It definitely adds a certain je ne sais quoi to your lab.

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Conclusion 3.
I'm a fuken genius that is being wasted doing a PhD.

Conclusion 4.
no one reads blogs, that so 2005, get with the times. Post some link to some good pr0n and might get a hit or two...

Conclusion 5.
chemistry is so boring that I'm reduced to stick $#!t up on the vents to stop me from going postal.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/xdr01/Jokes/castgay-1.jpg

1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would just like to draw attention to the colour and cut of the shirt "Rupert" is wearing.

Is old Rupie the ultimate in metrosexual/funboy teddy accessories or just a big gay bear?

2:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you guys ever do any chemistry? This is where all that Commonwealth money is being directed! John Howard would have a heart attack.

Hey, come to think of it, with that in mind, keep up the good work! I'm pretty sure that's the only way we'll be rid of him. He's going for Menzies record.

Howard is gay for Menzies.

10:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yea its rather cool andrew, its like being a dole bludger but without centerlink asking you for evidence to prove you've been trying to look for a job!

10:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buy those magnets in bulk, have some fun with them.. I can think of a good practical joke or two.

You guys are very lucky to beable to go to school for organic chemistry. I wish I had the money, its not in my best interest to get into debt.

1:04 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

nike free, polo ralph lauren, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton outlet, gucci handbags, replica watches, jordan pas cher, ray ban sunglasses, nike free run, prada outlet, tiffany and co, prada handbags, polo ralph lauren outlet online, louis vuitton outlet, louis vuitton outlet, burberry pas cher, kate spade outlet, christian louboutin outlet, oakley sunglasses, jordan shoes, longchamp outlet, nike roshe, longchamp outlet, ray ban sunglasses, nike air max, ugg boots, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, christian louboutin shoes, oakley sunglasses, longchamp pas cher, uggs on sale, nike air max, ugg boots, christian louboutin, christian louboutin uk, air max, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses wholesale, louis vuitton, chanel handbags, tory burch outlet, louboutin pas cher, tiffany jewelry, nike outlet, replica watches, polo outlet, sac longchamp pas cher, michael kors pas cher

4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counter